Automated Flagger Assistance Devices (AFADs)
AWP is always searching for technology enhancements that better serve our customers and keep us at the forefront of the traffic control industry. For some projects, our teams leverage Automated Flagger Assistance Devices, or AFADs.
AFADs are automated machines with an 8-foot gate arm, and traffic lights, controlled by our certified and trained flaggers via roadside tablet.
In general, motorists tend to be more responsive to AFADs than all-human crews. Missouri DOT found that vehicles approached 4.2 mph slower and stopped 11.4 ft. further back when work zones utilized Automated Flagger Assistance Devices (AFADs). The study also discovered 78% of drivers prefer AFADs over human flaggers.*
*Source: Evaluation of Automated Flagger Devices, MoDOT, 2017
AFADs In Action
- Promote Safety – Smart Technology allows one Protector to safely control multiple AFADs, out of harm’s way; better compliance received from motorists; and alarms trigger immediately if a vehicle breaches the workzone.
- Improve Traffic Flow – Google/Waze technology diverts 25% of traffic around the workzone entirely
- Stay on Schedule – Fewer AWP Protectors needed to cover each workzone, translating to greater service availability, despite today’s labor challenges.
- Cost Effective – AFADs will never cost you more than an all-human crew and can reduce overtime costs.
- Reduce Liability– Built-in cameras provide video surveillance.
- Operate on secure local area network (LAN), so AFADs work any time, any where
- Light head provides high visibility compared to flagger paddles
- 360º Night Vision Cameras record 80 hours of video
- Gate arm links to onboard intrusion alarms
- 60+ Hour Batteries offer reliability on the work site
- Durable construction stands up to all types of work terrain and weather
COST EFFECTIVE – using AFADs will never cost you more than an all-human crew.
RELIABLE – durable equipment is operated by Protectors who show up on time
EFFICIENT – AFADs are quicker for Protectors to set up, tear down and move which means less waiting for your own crews
“AFADs have made our jobs run more effectively and efficiently, thanks to the help of AWP. The AWP team understands how to utilize AFADs in the workzone to keep traffic flowing, and our crews and cars safe.”
Project Manager, Tempe, AZ
Interested in Using AFADs?
Our Sales Team can help you identify if AFAD technology is the right fit for your next project. Request a free quote with us today!